A Brief History of St Mary's Airport. EGHE
September 1937 - August 1939: Golf course used as airfield.
1939: High Cross Farm converted to airfield and opened in August to be known as St. Mary's Airport. Served by Dracon Rapides until 1970.
1964: Sikorsky S61 helicopter service began initially between here and Lands End and eventually from Penzance Heliport at Eastern Green.
1972: Britten Norman Islanders start on service with Brymon.
1974: Twin Otter starts in service.
1975: New terminal built in current position and opened by Rt. Hon. Harold Wilson OBE MP. Old building on eastern side demolished.
1987: Celebration of 50 years of flying at this aerodrome.
1991: New hard surface runway installed (15-33) 600m long. ( designators changed in 2010 to 14-32)
1994: Further improvements to terminal including enlarged buffet.
2002: Fire Category increased to CAT 3.
2004-05: New helicopter arrivals and improved staff accommodation, offices and meeting/training room built and opened by their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall.
2007 Apron extended in two areas to ensure sufficient clearance between Twin Otters.
2012 Celebration of 75 years of flying at this aerodrome.
2012 Sikorsky SK61 helicopter service ceases operations.
2014 Initiation of 'Airport Improvement Project' to future proof the aerodrome. Resurfacing of existing runways, hard surfacing of RW09 grass section, ATC and Navigational Aids improvements and passenger terminal upgrade.