PROPOSAL E -QUAYS
Proposals for quay facilities will be supported for;
Upgrade existing or additional quay on St Mary's subject to;
- Full environmental impact assessment.
- Public consultation.
- Operational compatibility with Penzance.
Upgrades to quays at Porth Conger on St Agnes, New Grimsby, Carn Near and Old Grimsby on Tresco, Higher Town on St Martin's.
A new quay at Dunstan's Rock on Bryher.
66. As part of the Route Partnership Project with West Cornwall it is intended to facilitate a combined freight/passenger service between St. Mary's and Penzance on an all year round basis. The environmental and cost implications need to be fully assessed and funding secured for this project and the Stage 1 Feasibility work is currently underway.
67. This is a major proposal for St Mary?s that needs to be in balance with the environment and the ongoing involvement of the community in the process is crucial to finding the right solution.
68. On the other islands the gap between the condition of their quays and the operational requirements is growing. This needs to be resolved for the long term viability of the communities on these islands.