Building Control

The Council of the Isles of Scilly are in the process of delegating the Building Control Function to Cornwall Council, who currently operate this service on behalf of the Council. Building Control applications are made direct to the Council of the Isles of Scilly, via the contact details below however this will change and submissions will be made directly to Cornwall. This is due to change from 1st October 2018 and this page will be updated with the contact details for a direct submission to Cornwall Council. Cornwall Council will be sending out some information to those with live applications and make regular submissions to inform them of the changes.

The current fee schedule will continue to apply until it is updated as required by Cornwall Council. The fees should not significantly change as they are already based on the costs of Cornwall running the service.

Building Control Applications and enquiries can currently be made to The Council of the Isles of Scilly by email at or by calling 0300 1234 105. Applications by post can be sent to:

The Planning Department, Council of the Isles of Scilly, Town Hall, St Mary's Isles of Scilly TR21 0LW for the attention of Building Control

All building works are required to comply with building regulations. It is important that you establish early on if you are planning works whether a Building Control application is required as it can add on extra time and application costs to your planned works. The Planning Department can signpost you to information on building control, regulations and applications.

The Building Control Officer is not based on the islands but visits on average every two weeks. Please contact us via the above details if you wish to request a site visit from the Building Control Officer or if you need to get in touch to discuss a proposed project or any work in progress.

Building Control Fee Schedule valid for applications made or paid for from 1st April 2017.

See our document explaining how Payments can be made to the Council in relation to applications.

Application Forms:

Further information is available from:

Planning Portal - Building Regulations

Cornwall Council's information on Building Control

Non-Mains Drainage

There are a very limited number of public drainage systems to connect to on the Isles of Scilly meaning that private drainage arrangements such as septic tanks are often necessary. Guidance on the disposal of sewage where no mains drainage is available can be found here and there is a leaflet on small sewerage treatment systems.