Bulky or Hazardous Waste

Bulky Waste

The Council does not currently provide a collection service for large bulky items.  Residents wishing to dispose of such items should either take the items themselves, by private vehicles, or contact a local haulier to collect and deliver the items to the Household Waste and Recycling Centre at Porthmellon.  All costs incurred for the removal of such items will be the responsibility of the householder and not the Council.  Please be aware that a commercial waste charge will apply if a haulier is used to carry and dispose of your household waste.

For more information on the opening times of the Household Waste and Recyling Centre and our fees and charges please click the link here.

Fridges, Freezers and other WEEE items

Since January 2003, fridges and freezers as well as other electrical items under the WEEE Directive have to be disposed of as special hazardous waste.

The Household Waste and Recycling centre has facilities to receive hazardous electrical items including fridges and freezers. Residents must arrange for these items to be collected and taken to the site.

Clinical Waste Disposal

Clinical waste is any waste that poses a threat of infection to humans. The term also includes drugs or other pharmaceutical products. For disposal arrangements please contact:

St. Mary’s Hospital
St. Mary’s
Isles of Scilly

Tel: 01720 422392

If you have any questions or comments please contact the infrastructure department on 01720 424450 or via email on infrastructure@scilly.gov.uk