Hardship support and Household Support Funding

We recognise that people might be worried about money at this time due to the cost of living and/or a number of other issues.  The Council of the Isles of Scilly can offer support or signpost to organisations that can support you, please see the information below:

Household Support Funding:

The Household Support Fund (HSF) has been made available by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to support those in need and who require crisis support to help with global inflationary challenges and the significantly rising cost of living.

The fund can be used to provide support with food, energy and water, essentials linked to energy and water, and wider essentials. Authorities can also use funding to support households with housing costs where existing housing support does not meet this need, and to supplement support with signposting and advice.  

Our Adult Social Care and Children’s Services teams will work with the community and support them to be able to maintain their wellbeing by alleviating financial hardship and food poverty.  Members of our community on Scilly can apply for this funding, please see information below: 


This fund is available to those who are residents on the Isles of Scilly.  Households in need include people who live alone and applicants do not need to be in receipt of benefits to be eligible. There is a cap to the amount this fund can pay out in each application, the maximum amount is £250. However the fund can be applied for more than once by a household.  Other non-financial support is available, please engage with the Council of The Isles of Scilly so that we can help signpost you to other forms of support such as signposting to organisations that can help reduce outgoings

Application process:

To apply for support from this fund please contact Adult Social Care on  01720 424 470 or asc@scilly.gov.uk

If you are eligible then you will be supported to apply for financial support of up to £250 per application.

Further information on available government support can be found here:

Cost of living support: Overview - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

  Winter Wellbeing:

  • Our Isles of Scilly Winter Wellbeing booklet has also been produced and has a wealth of useful information and contact details for supportive organisations, hard copies are available at the Health Centre and Library and a link to the booklet can be found here: 

    Winter Wellbeing_Isles of Scilly_2023-24 (cornwall.gov.uk) 

There are a number of other departments and organisations that can help you to make your money stretch further:

Please also contact Children’s Services if you have concerns or questions that relate to children or young people's well being. More information can be found here:

Children's Services | Council of the ISLES OF SCILLY


  • There have been a series of announcements from the government regarding support with energy bills, extra support for people with disabilities, Cost of Living payments and more. The information about all these, and any new help that is announced, or changes to existing help, is on the government’s Help for Households hub. There is also information about help with transport costs, childcare payments, finding work, energy-saving tips, etc: https://helpforhouseholds.campaign.gov.uk/
  • Money Helper, formerly the Money Advice Service, also has some helpful advice and calculators or tools, particularly around debt, budgeting and pensions guidance.  https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en

  • For information about the Cost of Living payment, and how people receive it, see the Department of Work and Pensions. There is full information there. Scammers have been attempting to take advantage of the confusion around this payment, and there is advice on this page about how to avoid scams. The real payment will not ask you to DO anything, whether call, click a link, email, or fill in a form in order to receive cost of living payments. They are made automatically.

    You can read the details of how payments will be made here:  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment

Ensuring you claim all the benefits you’re entitled to:

Energy & financial support resources:

All energy and water providers are obliged to keep a ‘priority services register’ of vulnerable customers. This could include people who are elderly, disabled, or require electricity for medical equipment. They are required to give special service to those people, and will prioritise reconnecting them in the event of a power cut or outage. Contact your provider for information. Many local banks are also offering support for people experiencing financial difficulties. See your bank’s website for advice.  Support in this area also available from Community Energy Plus – CEP (see above for contact details), Citizens Advice (see above) and Age UK.

Mental Health

People are also reminded that there is a wealth of support available for anyone struggling with their mental health. 

If you are worried about your own or someone else’s mental health call the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly 24/7 NHS mental health response line on 0800 038 5300. It's free to access by anyone, any age, any time, day or night.