[UPDATED - 28 April 2023: please note that this news item has been updated to reflect a change to the polling date.]
A vacancy on the Council of the Isles of Scilly was declared on 28 March 2023 for the St Mary’s parish. Former Councillor Michael Nelhams has ceased to be a member as a result of having not attended a council or committee meeting for six months.
A by-election to fill the vacancy will now take place. The nomination period will commence on Thursday, 13 April following the publication of the Notice of Election. If the election is contested, a poll will take place on Monday, 22 May.
To be able to vote in this election:
- you need to be registered to vote. If you are not already registered, you can submit an online application on the government website. You can also apply by completing a paper application form and posting or emailing it to the Elections Office at the details below.
- if you intend to vote at the polling station, you will need to show photo ID before you can be given your ballot paper. This is a new requirement which was introduced by the Elections Act passed last year.
Acceptable forms of photo ID include passports, driving licences, cards with a PASS mark and blue badges. Out-of-date documents can be used if the photograph still looks like you. A full list of the acceptable forms of photo ID is available on The Electoral Commission website.
If you do not have an acceptable form of photo ID, you can apply for a free voter ID document known as a Voter Authority Certificate on the government website. You can also apply by completing a paper application form and posting or emailing it to the Elections Office at the details below.
Alternatively, you could consider voting by post. You can apply to vote by post by completing an application form and posting or emailing it to the Elections Office at the details below.
In order to take effect for the St Mary’s by-election on 22 May:
- applications to register to vote must be received before 12 midnight on Wednesday, 3 May;
- applications for a postal vote must be received by 5pm on Thursday, 4 May; and
- applications for a Voter Authority Certificate must be received by 5pm on Friday, 12 May.
Further information about the new voter ID requirement may be found on The Electoral Commission website.
Isles of Scilly
T: 01720 424543