The funding has been successfully allocated to 20 local businesses across St Mary's, St Agnes, St Martins, Bryher and Tresco.
Rainwater tanks totalling nearly 250,000 Litres are being delivered and installed across all of the islands with a view to complete by early December 2022.
Apply now: Rainwater harvesting tanks for Scilly businesses
The Council of the Isles of Scilly received £250,000 of funding from the European Regional Development Fund to help businesses on the islands install rainwater harvesting systems. These systems will allow rainwater to be stored in tanks for non-potable uses such as toilets, washing machines, process water and irrigation.
The majority of the funding has now been allocated, however, due to a change in circumstance we are now welcoming further applications from businesses that are able to accommodate either a 10,000 litre rainwater harvesting tank or 200-300 litre above ground tank.
What can it fund?
This fund will cover the cost for the design, specification, equipment, storage, delivery and installation of the systems for the successful businesses. The contracted supplier will work with the business to help define the modifications needed for their internal plumbing to use the harvested water for non-potable purposes.
This fund will not cover the costs of any internal plumbing that is needed to connect to the external rainwater harvesting system. It will be up to the business to secure the services of a plumber to carry out this work and pay for it.
To qualify you must be:
- a sole trader, or a registered company, or a payer of business rates
- situated in and trading from the Isles of Scilly
- can accommodate 10,000l (10m3) tank – 2.4m Diameter and 2.5m High with an externally mounted, manually operated pump. A Circa 3m x 3m base would be ideal or/
- can accommodate an above ground tank (circa 200-300L) for garden irrigation only
- is not an existing applicant to the scheme
We will consider all of the following;
- Volume of water used each year
- Roof area available for rainwater harvesting
- Space available for tank(s)
- How the harvested water will be used
We will then work with the contractor to determine which application we are able to support from the fund.
How to apply
Please fill out the expression of interest form attached to the website page. If you have any queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
All applications must be in by 5pm 14th October 2022
All works must be able to be completed by 23 December 2022.