Events and Hiring Open Spaces

The Council of the Isles of Scilly has a legislative requirement in respect to certifying and licensing public events.

The Isles of Scilly Safety Advisory Group (SAG) has created an Events Tool Kit, providing a one stop shop for event organisers to access advice and guidance on the safe management of events.

If you are planning an event, please complete an Event Notification Form and send to at least 12 weeks prior to your event.

Events Tool Kit

  1. Event Notification Form
  2. Risk Assessment Guidance
  3. Risk Assessment Template – Example
  4. Open Space Application Form
  5. Highway Road Closure Application Form

If you require any of the above in a different format, please email

How do I apply to hire an open space?

  1. If you plan to hire a Council managed open space, please complete the Open Space Application Form
  2. Further information on Council run open spaces is available here
  3. Return your form to the St Mary's Library or email it to
  4. We aim to confirm your application or ask for further information within five working days.
  5. You will receive your invoice for use of the space after your event

 How do I apply to close a road?

  1. If you plan to close a road as part of your event,  please complete a Road Closure Form
  2. Further information on road closures is available here
  3. You must allow at least 2 weeks if you are planning on a partial closure and 12 weeks if you are planning on a full road closure, (closure of the entire width of the road,) as a temporary traffic prohibition/restriction order will be required.
  4. Please return your completed form to Environment Services at the Town Hall either in hard copy or by email to Please retain a copy for your records.
  5. Please note the Council of the Isles of Scilly is not responsible for private roads. A highway closure form needs only to be filled when it affects a publicly maintained road. If you have any questions regarding road closures happening on the island please contact us via email at or by phone 01720424450. 

Do I need to apply for a licence?

  1. Some events may require a Temporary Events Licence issued by the Council of the Isles of Scilly
  2. Licensable activities include: 
  • Public performances such as the staging a play or an orchestral recital
  • Public broadcasts such as an open air film screening
  • Indoor sporting events such as a boxing or wrestling match
  • Live or recorded music events
  • The sale or supply of alcohol
  • The provision of late night refreshment between 23:00 and 05:00

3. Further information on different licences and how to apply can be found here.

What supporting documents might I need?

  1. Open Space Application
  2. Road Closure Application
  3. Temporary Event Notice Application
  4. Proof of Public Liability Insurance
  5. Event Risk Assessments (including Covid-19 Risk Assessment)
  6. Welfare and Safeguarding Plan
  7. Sustainable Event Management Plan
  8. Waste Management Plan
  9. Emergency Plan

Please note the release and use of balloons, sky lanterns and non-biodegradable streamers is strictly prohibited on Council land as per the Council’s policy passed in September 2018, see the attached policy for more information.

If you require this in an alternative format, please contact