National Bus Pass

What is the National Concessionary Travel Pass?

If you live in England, you are entitled to a bus pass giving free off-peak travel on local buses when you reach ‘eligible age’ or are ‘eligible disabled’. It does not give you free bus travel in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Who is eligible?

If you were born before 6 April 1950 you are eligible for an older person’s bus pass from your 60th birthday. If you are a woman born after 5 April 1950, you become eligible for an older person’s bus pass when you reach pensionable age. If you are a man born after 5 April 1950, you become eligible when you reach the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day. ‘Eligible disabled’ means you are: blind or partially sighted; profoundly or severely deaf; without speech; have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk; don’t have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms; have a learning disability. You are also ‘eligible disabled’ if your application for a driving licence would be refused under section 92 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (physical fitness). However, you won’t be eligible if you were refused because of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

When exactly is off-peak travel?

Off peak hours are 9.30am until 11.00pm Monday - Friday, and all day weekends and Bank Holidays.

What is the definition of a ‘local’ bus?

The definition of a ‘local’ bus will be self evident in most cases, but in a few instances it could include some longer distance buses and coach services. If in doubt, please check with the service operator. Please note: the Community Bus on St. Mary’s is not classified as a ‘local’ bus. Therefore your concessionary pass will not be valid.

Is it applicable to local boat services?

Concessionary Travel Passes are not valid on local boat services. For more information or to apply for Concessionary Boat Tickets please contact us on 01720 424470 or email

What do I do if I lose my pass?

Please contact us on 01720 424470 or email  You will then be issued with a new form and you may need to provide additional supporting documents with photograph.

Who do I contact if I require further information or assistance?

Please contact us on 01720 424470 or email