Bulky Waste & Skip Waste

The Council does not provide a large bulky collection service. If you produce waste that cannot be included in your kerbside collection, you will need to take it to your nearest waste site. If you instruct a haulier or contractor to bring the material to the site for you, commercial waste fees will apply. All costs incurred for the removal of such items will be the responsibility of the householder and not the Council. 

For more information on accessing a waste site please see our page on:

St Mary’s Waste & Recycling Site, Porthmellon

Off Island Waste & Recycling Sites

If you need to place a skip on the highway, including any pavement, you will need to complete a Container on the Highway Application form which should be sent in at least 10 days before you wish to install it.  

You are responsible for the waste you produce; you must take all reasonable steps to ensure you arrange safe disposal and comply with legal requirements.

For information on DIY waste, please see our Extra-Ordinary Household Waste page.

Electrical Items (WEEE)

Since January 2003, fridges & freezers as well as other electrical items that come under the EU WEEE Directive have to be disposed of as special hazardous waste.

You can recycle your electrical items by taking them to your nearest waste and recycling site. Householders on St Mary's can also book small and large electrical items to be collected on our electrical collection round, which occurs fortnightly. For more information, please see our Kerbside Electrical Collection page.