In September 2019 the Planning Department consulted on a new Local Validation Checklist, following Members approval in July 2019. As of January 2021 Members approved the adoption of Local Validation Checklists, which are now used in the validation of planning applications locally, on the Isles of Scilly.
TIMING CONSIDERATIONS - BATS
Because the Local Requirements may require more information, it is critical that the timing of your project takes into account the possible need to assess a building, structure or tree for the presence of protected species, such as Bats. Any alteration of a roof, demolition of a structure (requiring planning permission) and any tree or hedgerow removal required as part of the development, will trigger the need for an assessment. Whilst a preliminary assessment can take place at any time during the year, any subsequent Bat Emergence Survey that may be recommended in the preliminary assessment, can only take place when Bats are active (May through to September). Your application may not be valid for consideration until all required and recommended assessments have been submitted.
National Validation Requirements
Information required when submitting a planning application. The Council has provided some breif guidance notes on the National Validation Requirements but the Planning Portal web pages can also be reviewed for further guidance.
- Application form
Note:You must submit a completed application form. you must sign and date the ownership certificates and declaration.
Note: The correct fee must be submitted with the application. See the Planning Portal for an up to date confirmation on the exact fee.
- Plans, drawings and supporting information
The table below lists the types of plans, drawings and supporting information that might be required. You must provide enough information to describe your proposal. All plans and drawings must have a scale bar, key dimensions, the direction of North, original paper size and scale (e.g. 1:200 at A3) clearly marked on them.
While not compulsory, submitting plans and drawings on A3 will help the Local Planning Authority process your application more efficiently. For example, consider placing fewer elevations on smaller pages sizes, even if this means submitting more documents. We would also recommend only using colour where necessary as this can greatly increase file sizes.
The lists below provides general guidance. We encourage applicants to seek pre-application advice to ascertain the exact level of information required for your proposed development. Please note that failure to submit the relevant surveys/information required specific to your application may result in the application not being registered.
- Plans and drawings
- Location Plan (scale 1:2500 or 1:1250) with site outlined in red and north point (Planning Portal source for purchasing adequate location and block plans)
- Block Plan (scale 1:500) or Site Plan (scale 1:200) – if the proposal will alter an existing building footprint or create a new building footprint
- Site Levels (scale 1:200) – if the proposal will lead to a change in the level of the land or the proposed development is on land of differing levels
- Floor Plans – Existing and Proposed (scale 1:50 or 1:100) – if the proposal will create, alter or add to a floor
- Elevation Drawings – Existing and Proposed (scale 1:50 or 1:100) – if the proposal will create, alter or add to a building
- Design and Access Statement for; any Major application, OR; any application for one or more dwelling houses or for the provision of 100 sq m or more of floor space in a conservation area
Local list of validation requirements
Please also see below for additional information that may be necessary to enable the council to determine your application efficiently. If such information is not submitted the council may decide to refuse the application due to a lack of supporting information.
The Local Validation Checklists below should be completed and submitted with your application:
- Householder Checklist PDF (including combined Householder and Listed Building Consent) or (Word Version)
- Listed Building Consent Checklist PDF or (Word Version)
- Full Application Checklist PDF (including combined Householder and Listed Building Consent) or (Word Version)
- Adverstisement Consent PDF or (Word Version) For combined Advertisement with Full Planning please use the Full Application Checklist.