Household Paper & Cardboard Collection FAQs

Frequently asked Questions (FAQs)

Segregated Cardboard Recycling Service for Householders


Why do we need to separate our paper and cardboard into another sack?

Segregating material for recycling will help reduce costs to the Council and will maximise the opportunity for this material to be fully recycled, as the risk of contamination from other material is lower – and this is better for the environment and our carbon footprint. Nationally, through the Environment Act 2021 there is legislative requirement on Local Authorities to ensure, where practicable, further segregation of material to improve the way we collect and recycle materials


When do I start to use the new sacks?

You can start as soon as your sacks arrive.


When will the new cardboard & paper sacks be collected?

Your separate cardboard and paper sacks will be collected on the same day as your residual waste and mixed recycling. There will be no change to your collection day.


How do I present material in the sacks for recycling?

To help save sacks, please only put them out when they are full. Please ensure you flatten cardboard as much as possible and you remove all plastic tape, polystyrene and other materials.


What do I do with my old blue household dry mixed recycling sacks?

You can use these sacks for your other mixed recycling materials, until you have run out. Once you run out you can use the new, green mixed recycling sacks.


What should I do with items that do not fit in the sacks?

These items will need to be taken to your nearest waste and recycling centre. Booking systems are in place.

St Marys: 13:00 – 16:30 Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Email or call 01720 424450 to book.

St Agnes: 14:00 – 15:00 on Fridays, 10:00 – 11:00 on Sundays.

Bryher: 17:00 – 18:00 Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (summer), 16:00 – 17:00 (winter).

St Martins: 14:00 – 16:00 on Fridays.


Do I need to remove plastic windows from envelopes?



Do I need to take junk mail or brochures out of the plastic wrapping?



Can we include tetra pak in our cardboard and paper recycling sacks?

No. Tetra pak is not something our recycling contractor can accept for recycling at this time.


What do I do when I run out of cardboard and paper sacks?

You will have a new roll of cardboard and paper recycling sacks delivered every 6 months. If you run out before that time you can request a new roll by emailing


What if I have surplus sacks?

We encourage everyone to recycle but if you have a surplus of sacks, please return unused sacks to the Library or the Wellbeing Centre.


What if I live in a flat with limited space available?

We understand that managing recycling with limited space can be challenging for residents. However, the volumes of waste and recycling will remain the same. There are lots of great space saving ideas online for your recycling. We recognise that not all flats have sufficient outside containerisation, we would like to understand from residents how we can help. Please email


Will this service be rolled out for Businesses?

There are no changes to the collection of commercial recycling at this time. Please continue to use clear sacks for commercial dry mixed recycling. Businesses will receive a reduction in recycling costs if they can bring cardboard separately to the Porthmellon Waste and Recycling Site. Please see our website for fees and charges: Commercial Fees and Charges | Council of the ISLES OF SCILLY

Please contact or 01720 424450 if you have any further queries.